Photo credit: Boston Public Library
He enlisted in the U.S. Army April 16, 1917 and reported for duty July 25th, was mustered in August 7th and sailed overseas on September 22, 1917. He was a member of New England's famed Yankee Division as was his older brother Randall H. Quessy.
He was wounded in the Argonne forest on October 30, 1918 and died on November 1, 1918. He left his brother, a sister Hilda and his parents. He is buried in the family lot in West Chelmsford Cemetery. The distinctive Yankee Division symbol is on his gravestone.
In 1922 the West Chelmsford School was renamed the Quessy School in his honor. It was demolished in 1980. A monument in his honor stands at the small circle at the intersection of Main and School Streets. His name is also on the monument at Vinal Square in North Chelmsford center.
We thank George Quessy and his family for his sacrifice. And we remember.